[mylyn-dev] Re: Policies for EPP

I made sure to stay completely out of the discussion on what to include in EPP because I knew that Mylyn was being considered, and did not want to bias EPP's selection process with the fact that I thought that inclusion of Mylyn would be beneficial it's adoption. This message is not intended to define how projects should be selected, just to quickly relate sopme Mylyn's experiences with becoming a part of EPP.

First, when we heard that we would be included, we had to quickly make the decision whether we were ready for this this to happen. Our decision to go ahead was entirely based on whether the way the tool had hardened around its early adopters would scale to the majority of Eclipse users. Here is what we considered:

* Leading up to Mylyn 1.0 (2006-12-11) we resolved 1791 bugs, dominated by early adopter feedback.

* As Denis points out the 1.0 release raised our visibility sufficiently for us to harden the tool around the next round of early adopter feedback from the adoption of Mylyn 1.0. That came much quicker, and we resolved 951 bugs for Mylyn 2.0 (Europa).

We decided that this was sufficient usage feedback for EPP, which launch edus from an early adopter community of at least tens of thousands, to a much larger community with a very different user profile and expectations than early adopters. What I have learned is that we barely squeezed by in terms of meeting the bar in terms of overall quality and usability, even though we worked like crazy to both get more usage feedback between 1.0 and 2.0 and resolve all the key bugs and UI problems.

With the EPP packagings users' expectations are dramatically different. Consider the following article, which contains by far the most negative comments I have seen on Mylyn to date:

http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/10/mylyn

Note that the problems cited there turned out not to be related to Mylyn failures. Some of the users were seeing innocuous warnings in their log related to Mylyn, the other user had hundreds of resources out of synch with their filesystem, which was unsurprisingly confusing Subclipse. But to the average user none of this matters. If there is something new or weird with their IDE, and something fails (e.g. wrong MaxPermSize setting in Eclipse 3.3.1) they will simply blame or flame about the new thing. Note that Mylyn is particularly susceptible to this because its Task-Focused UI touches a significant portion of the Eclipse UI.

While we're actually in a good state right now, and afaik there hasn't been any other EPP related fall-out anywhere near as bad as the MaxPermSize Platform problem with Mylyn or other packagings, I do think that we need to consider such issues further in terms of EPP policies:

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-planning-council/msg01049.html

Mik

Denis Roy wrote:
Scott Lewis wrote:
But this is precisely the point of my response to Ian's previous post...this is naturally based upon your assumptions about what the new user 'needs'.

Actually, I see a correlation between the EPP packages and the top-10 popular projects on the downloads page [1]. Aside from BIRT and TPTP, most of the popular projects are either a complement to an EPP package or the core component of a package. Mylyn made the top-10 when 1.0 was released some time ago. PDT wasn't 1.0 until recently, and I can see how a PHP Developer package could be something useful for our users.

So it appears to me that the EPP packages are based on the reality of what the new user is likely to 'want', taking into account current download trends and project popularity.

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Back to the top