[mylyn-dev] Mylyn never lets the JobManager be idle?

Hi all,

To begin with, thanks for mylyn - it's a very neat idea and works
nicely.

I'm trying to integrate it with my eclipse application and it works
nicely; However, I've got two questions I'd like to ask; since the
second one is completely separate to this one, I'll ask it in a
following email.

It seems to me, that mylyn never lets the job manager be idle. I know
this, because when running PDE unit tests, I use this method on my
setUp() to make sure that eclipse is ready to be used:

  public static void waitForJobs() throws Exception {
    while (!Job.getJobManager().isIdle()) {
      delay(1000);
    }
  }

(delay waits for x ms, while letting the ui process events). This was
worked quite well in a number of eclipse projects I've worked on, with
multiple plugins.

When running mylyn, the jobmanager is never idle. Running this through a
debugger, it looks like the Flush Cache Job and the Task List Saver
always run. Indeed, looking at CacheFlushJob, which is nested inside
org.eclipse.mylyn.internal.tasks.ui.OfflineCachingStorage, it seems to
be in a while(true) loop. The exact same is true for TaskListSaverJob,
which is inside
org.eclipse.mylyn.internal.tasks.ui.util.TaskListSaveManager

Is this the intended behaviour? Is my waitForJobs() code a bad way to
make sure everything's ready before running the tests? Wouldn't it be a
better solution for the two jobs to schedule themselves to run again
later?

Thanks,

Stefanos
Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

E-mails are not encrypted and cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender
contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities
or related financial instruments.

UBS Limited is a company registered in England & Wales under company
number 2035362, whose registered office is at 1 Finsbury Avenue,
London, EC2M 2PP, United Kingdom.

UBS AG (London Branch) is registered as a branch of a foreign company
under number BR004507, whose registered office is at
1 Finsbury Avenue, London, EC2M 2PP, United Kingdom.

UBS Clearing and Execution Services Limited is a company registered
in England & Wales under company number 03123037, whose registered
office is at 1 Finsbury Avenue, London, EC2M 2PP, United Kingdom.

Back to the top