[mylar-dev] Fwd: My 2 cents about Mylar development

I sent this message to Mik and he requested that I forwarded it to the list in order to keep this communication out in the open. I do not feel entirely comfortable doing that, I do not want to start flame war, and I do not want to hurt anybody. But I have a lot of respect for Mik, and for the way he manages Mylar and therefore I decided to forward this initially private message to Mylar dev list.

Lubos Pochman

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lubos and Alena Pochman <pochmans@xxxxxxxxx >
Date: May 25, 2007 7:44 AM
Subject: My 2 cents about Mylar development
To: Mik Kersten <beatmik@xxxxxxx>

Mik,

I was following the latest discussion between you and Eugene and decided to use your email to comment on it, because I do not want to be drawn into flaming war.
Based on my personal experience (and it is only one old man opinion 8-), you are right on many points, by saying that discussion the way Eugene does it some times,
discourages other people to participate in discussion and maybe even in considering to contribute to the project.

Eugene is brilliant technically and his ideas and implementations are great lot of times. But his social and communication skills are very poor and arrogant.
I always thought that social and communication skills are not that important for software developers, but I think I was wrong.
Maybe it is culture issue, but I also come from Eastern Europe and this behavior was not normal when I lived there.

I decided to stay away from the mylar dev list as much as possible, and if I have some problems, I try to solve them myself (usually by debugging).
People who "do not live" in Mylar code, and therefore are not Mylar experts cannot have the expertise of the development team members. But that does not mean
that they or their programming skills are inferior.
Note, that this is just one man opinion, and I very much appreciate contributions Eugene makes to Mylar. Maybe I am just too sensitive.
I am big fan of open source, and I am managing one open source project myself (Luntbuild), but I can honestly say, that Mylar is one project I would not join as
developer, because of this "unfriendly" environment.

I think, that you are doing great job managing the project and Mylar has great potential! I am big fan of Mylar as a user.
But maybe it would be good idea to separate dev mailing list and user mailing list, and keep the passionate and sometimes "scary" discussion in dev list,
and keep Mylar user related discussion in users list, where developers would participate, but they would use more user friendly approach to the discussion.

Sorry for the rumbling, Lubos

Back to the top