Re: [mylar-dev] dev build for 3.3M7

Eugene Kuleshov wrote:
>  Also note that average user won't complain about some feature he
> is not aware of. No offense but it is purely lack of imagination.

All: please note that this tone of communication goes completely against the mantra of our project and is not reflective of how other committers think of the user community. For a long time our communication philosophy has been stated as:

"Our philosophy is that the user is always right, even if it takes time to figure out how or why they are right. Our project thrives on the feedback of users, whether they are seasoned experts or newbies. Feedback defines how the tool should work, how it should be simplified, and how it should evolve."
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Mylar_Contributor_Reference#Communication

I never cease to be amazed at the quality of the feedback of both newcommers and seasoned users to suggest features, new ideas, and variations on the existing UI. One of the most rewarding parts of my job as the lead of this project is that I read every comment on every bug report, which has given me a tremendous appreciation for the imagination and wealth of ideas and contributions that have come from our still rapidly growing user community. And as a project we are going to continue striving to make it easier and easier for new users to provide feedback by continuing to facilitate bug reporting and improving the usage reporting mechanisms that we added for 2.0M3.

-------------

Eugene, in saying "no offense" you probably realize that I find this statement extremely offensive to our user community and know that it drives me crazy to see this, so *please* read the communication guidelines again. The main problem with this is that it creates a bad dynamic that makes other people shy to post for fear of being flamed at, and what we want is everyone to post their ideas and opinions freely.

As usual you have some good technical points interspersed with the flaming, so I'll answer those. But I'm done with the flaming and do not plan to reply further posts from you on this thread.

SDK have feature to use background-based highliting for CVS stuff. So, bad excuse you have. :-P

This is not enabled by default and I am arguing that it is a bad idea to have something like this enabled by default for views that have sufficiently high fidelity decorators and are frequently visible. Part of this argument comes from experience, since I have worked for weeks with a Package Explorer that had foreground highlighting.

>  It depends. Monotonous views are hard to deal with and hard to pickup
> tasks from list of >10 if those tasks have orthogonal characteristics to
> any sorting or grouping mechanisms provided by Task List view. That is
> why I and few other users found highlighters quite handy to make those
> tasks more noticeable.

Yes, highlighters are great at making these orthogonal properties that don't participate in sorting and grouping jump out immediately. But they are extremely expensive visually because they drown out the other visual annotations that we use to indicate these properties. For example, we can now instantly pick out which bugs are marked major. with the icon overlays, or which ones are overdue. In my usage experience that gets drowned out in the presence of highlighter.

Well, it seems like you have short memory. I will refer you to the archive of the mylar-dev list and the newsgroup. Look for complaints about disappeared highlighters.

The only statement I know of on record about a user other than you needing highlighters boiled down to problems with other parts of the pre 1.0 UI. The user's statement (Oct 18, 2006 newsgroup post) was:

"My current use of Highlighters will probably seem more like a workaround to you. I'm basically using them as you describe the use of the scheduling in your recent article. I started doing that before I realized that scheduling could work that way. Unfortunately, I find that the scheduling coloring / workweek filter doesn't really work well for me due to issues with the workweek filter view and how the coloring is applied."

This and other points they brought up have either now been addressed or will be addressed via other improvements. So I am again left to conclude that you are projecting your opinions and needs onto those of others. That's *not* to say that we will never have a reason to add highlighters, just that the current state is that we don't have one.

The Mylar UI will never be optimized for you and me. It needs to be optimized for intermediates (one of Alan Cooper's axioms that I deeply believe in). I have always taken every one of your suggestions to heart. But if you project something that you are convinced of to be something that others need you make it harder for me to do so.

Mik

--
Mik Kersten
President & CTO, http://tasktop.com