Re: [mylar-dev] dev build for 3.3M7

Eugene Kuleshov wrote:
They make icon decorations and overlays harder to notice, add to the visual noise, and the SDK refrains from using them (e.g. to highlight errors in the Package Explorer).
Just for the record, we have discussed it several times and I thoght that there was an agreement that there is no need to highlight background in the views other then Task List. Am I wrong?

My answer to this is in the first three lines above that you quote. To restate it, I think that it is a bad idea for the same reason that it is a bad idea in the Package Explorer. We already use decorations to bring focus to key elements (e.g. incomings, overdue, etc). We are using so many dimensions of the UI space already (icons, multiple overlay, foreground decoration, background category decoration) that every combination of the highlight background decoration that I've tried overloads the Task List UI in my opinion. I was saying that this is analogous to why I think it is a bad idea to do background highlighting in other SDK views (which we also used to do, e.g. for Landmarks).

Also, it is important to note that no other user has requested this feature, and the only reason it is in the Sandbox is because you like it. Naturally I'm happy leaving it there for this reason, but I have to be very careful about projecting what currently appears to be an idiosyncratic use case on others.

    Tasks    Foc-UI    Bgzla    Jira    Trac
total    17939    15965    13279    12653    12993
e3.2    16011    14204    11899    11403    11702
e3.3    1928    1761    1380    1250    1291
Mik, the point I was trying to make is that Bgzla, Jira and Trac plugins are downloaded together for the same reason and you don't create separate update sites only to make it more difficult to download.

Bugzilla, JIRA and Trac are all part of the supported release distribution. The Sandbox is by definition not. As I stated, if other users are finding the separate Sandbox update site inconvenient please file a bug with the rationale. Eugene, please consider filing a bug as well in case this gets noticed by others down the road.

Also note that there is an upgrade risk that an old Sandbox plugin can be activated with updated other plugins and break something. With separate update sites there is probably no easy way around that.

Yes, that risk is there. That's party why I wanted to separate them before 2.0. But I will continue maintaining the Sandbox update site so please file a bug if you notice any problem with it.

Mik

Back to the top