Re: [mylar-dev] dev build for 3.3M7

Regarding the update site, as mentioned below the Sandbox feature is not intended for daily use. This means that there are things in it which our UI is not designed around. The highlighters are the best example. We decided way back that foreground highlighters in views that are constantly visible, such as the Package Explorer and the Task List, were a bad idea and removed them by putting them into the Sandbox. They make icon decorations and overlays harder to notice, add to the visual noise, and the SDK refrains from using them (e.g. to highlight errors in the Package Explorer).

As the fidelity of our UI increases it gets increasingly harder to optimize the look-and-feel around any purposely removed or experimental features. However, lots of people were downloading all Sandbox plug-ins because it was the easiest thing to do when getting a dev build. As such I think that it is best to require users to use the additional site if they want to experiment with Sandbox features. We need to be clear about the fact that these are currently more experimental ideas that were removed than they are power toys. To make that clear we could split the Sandbox feature up into separate features. There haven't been any additional complaints, but if anyone finds this inconvenient I suggest filing a bug on which features you think should be promoted out of the Sandbox or on how the Sandbox could be restructured.

Regarding Trac and JIRA connectors, in terms of update manager-based installs for 2.0M3. Not that these numbers do not include update site zip downloads or the various redistributions of Mylar, so they are only intended for comparison purposes.

	Tasks	Foc-UI	Bgzla	Jira	Trac
total	17939	15965	13279	12653	12993
e3.2	16011	14204	11899	11403	11702
e3.3	1928	1761	1380	1250	1291

Mik

Eugene Kuleshov wrote:

As a long time user of some of the sandbox features (namely task highlighting) I think it was a bad idea to move sandbox feature into such obscurely hidden update site. Sandbox feature did say experimental stuff in its description, so it may be very well choice of the most users to install it. Besides, is hasn't been discussed on our dev meetings.

 regards,
 Eugene

PS: btw, how many users installed Trac and JIRA connectors? Can you estimate how many users are actually using them?

Mik Kersten wrote:
The Eclipse 3.3M7 release is now available and support by this evening's Mylar dev build (2.0.0.v20070504-1930). Mylar 2.0M2 should continue to work in 3.3M7.

  http://www.eclipse.org/mylar/dl.php

Mylar 2.0M3 is scheduled to be release next Friday, and will support both Eclipse 3.3 and 3.2.

Please note that the Sandbox feature has moved from the dev update site. We noticed that many developers were selecting all features when updating from the dev site and the Sandbox feature is not intended for daily use. If you installed it but are not making use of Sandbox feature, we suggest you uninstall it since it can clutter the UI. The dev update sites will now be identical to the release and the Sandbox feature can be installed from the site listed at:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Mylar_Contributor_Reference#Sandbox

Mik

Back to the top