[mylar-dev] Architectural question...

Everyone,

I've got a probably simple question regarding the Mylar architecture. If this already has been discussed in the past, feel free to point me to some documentation as I don't want to restart a discussions that has already been completed.

I think you've all done a great job in providing a framework that's pretty easy to hook into and I greatly appreciate that. On the other hand, I've already run into several situations where I wanted to do things differently and that couldn't easily be achieved, at least not without patching the Mylar source code. And all of those things just boil down to one issue: the use of abstract classes instead of interfaces (in contrast to abstract classes in conjunction with interfaces)

So my question is this: is there any specific reason why you chose this approach? I just want to give you one specific example that's
troubling me though I could probably come up with others:

I want to write a page for the task editor that has a completely different look and feel than pages based on AbstractRepositoryTaskEditor. I can return something different (based on IEditorPart) out of my task editor factory. Unfortunately that would not behave as first-class citizen because TaskEditor includes code fragments that only execute against AbstractRepositoryTaskEditor based classes. An interface
in addition to the abstract class would solve this.

Anyone? ;-)

Cheers,
Boris

Back to the top