[mylar-dev] About feature dependencies in Mylar packaging ....

Hi,
I have a question regarding the way Mylar features express dependencies
towards other features like the platform, or Jira features.
Generally by doing that you assume that the bundles you depend on will
always be packaged in a certain way, when in fact they could be packaged
differently. In that case this will make the installation of the plugins
impossible, even though each plugin can still be resolved.
For instance, in the case of my project EasyEclipse, we create new
features which are not the original SDK features.
Hence the vanilla Mylar cannot be installed on top of EasyEclipse
because of those dependencies.

IMHO, it is generally better to express only plugins dependencies in the
features to be impervious to the way plugins have been grouped or
packaged together in features, unless you "include" a feature which you
would also provide locally.
It also enables to express finer grained
dependencies, which is always better I think, as you can limit those to
the
strict minimum; in contrast features are coarse grained, group s of
plugin made for the ease of packaging.
In the end the resolution of the plugins is what counts and what makes a
certain version of Mylar work, while the resolution of the feature is
less important, and is only an artifice of the update manager, and an
odd legacy of Eclipse version 2.0 on many counts.
Note that the versioning guideline for Eclipse 3.2 explicitely commnet
on that topic of included and required features:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Version_Numbering#Versioning_features

If agreed, I could provide a simple patch to change that (after thorough
testing of course).
What do you think?
Cordially

--