Re: [mylar-dev] this week's plan (v0.3.9)

Mik Kersten wrote:

Sorry, the documentation is sparse in this release and will be substantially
better in next week's.  The checkboxes cascade, so if you set the
degree-of-separation to be 3 that will automatically check 1 and 2.  The
richer your context is the lower you should need to have it set.  The levels
are the scope setting of active search, as indicated by the labels next to
the degrees.  E.g. if you set it to 2 you the search runs on every file that
is in your task context to find related elements.

Hmm. I believe that using multiple check boxes is really confusing. The way you've described it is just a single choice and it would be more intuitive to use something like "radio button" idems similar to .

The searches themselves
run runs with a job priority of 50, which on my machine makes the completely
unnoticeable since they don't block any other Eclipse job.  So I wonder
where the freeze is coming from.  Is there anything particular about your
workspace, like linked network folders?

No linked or network folders, but workspace has over 60 projects (including several complete eclipse plugins such as Subclipse, Mylar, Team/CVS and few others). I also keep process view open

Is the delay shorter when you set
it to 1 and does it go away if you set it to 0?

Not much difference between 0 and 1, 2 freezes for 20 seconds and 3 - for few minutes. None of views are updated in that time. Actually the most noticeable freeze happens when I change degree level or add something to the landmark (especially when resource is referenced a lot). After that initial freeze the active search view seems working ok with degree 2. It also seems that there should be a limit on the size of search result in case when something is referenced a lot.

How many landmarks (bold elements) do you have?

I've played around that and it doesn't seem makes much difference how may land marks I have. It is bad even with only one landmark.

Note that if the Active Search view is closed then this feature gets
disabled and no searches will be run.

  It seems that setting degree to 0 works too.

  regards,
  Eugene