RE: [mylar-dev] Stand alone bug tracking

Hi Ed,

1.4 source compatibility would come at a price higher than just rewriting
all of the very convenient generics and other language extensions.  Mylar
itself depends on some 1.5-specific features like annotations, e.g. a future
release will allow you to declare the interest level of a key element via a
1.5 annotation on that element.  So before exploring the source option I'd
like to understand what we would lose by only being 1.5 binary compatible
via Retroweaver, assuming that it works well and can be integrated into the
automated build.

While I agree that it is important all Eclipse *Tools* projects to match the
platform's compatibility, I think that it is equally important for
*Technology* projects to not have this constraint so that we can be forward
thinking.  But we're also focusing hard on Mylar easy to build on and
extend, so I would definitely like to hear more about whethre binary-only
compatibility will be a showstopper for people interested in contributing.

This is an important question and likely to come up again, so I think that
we can use it to kick off an FAQ...

Mik