Re: [mpc-dev] remediation testing in mpc

Here's my test results in detail. I tried many of the featured, recently
updated and popular solutions. For the most part, everything worked as expected:

* Chronon - okay
* JRebel - okay
* PTI - PHP Tool Integration - okay
* JDeodorant - okay
* Eclipse Search CSV Support - okay
* Glance - okay
* Glassfish Tools for Indigo - okay
* Mongrel - okay
* Balsamiq Spy - okay
* Ceylon IDE - okay
* NatSpec - okay
* Sigasi VHDL Plugin - okay
* Vrapper (Vim) - okay
* WireframeSketcher Wireframing Tool - okay
* JBoss Tools (Indigo) - okay
* Hibernate Tools (Helios) - okay
* Hibernate Tools (Indigo) - okay
* Maven Integration for Eclipse - okay
* Subversive SVN Team Provider - okay
* Subclipse - okay
* Maven Integration for Eclipse WTP - okay
* Eclipse Color Theme - okay
* JBoss Tools (Juno) - okay
* Android Development Tools for Eclipse - okay
* PyDev Python IDE for Eclipse - okay

* JBoss Tools (Helios) - remediation (install subset, product not affected)
- expected result

* EGit Git Team Provider - Message dialog: "There is nothing to update" -
expected result

* GitHub Mylyn Connector - remediation (update to Kepler contribution) -
expected result

* Spring Tool Suite (STS) for Eclipse Juno (3.8 + 4.2) - okay

* Oracle Database Tools for Helios - remediation (no solution, product not
affected) - expected result

* Oracle ADF Tools (Kepler) - remediation (install subset, product not
affected) - expected result

* Oracle ADF Tools (Indigo) - remediation (install subset, product not
affected) - expected result

I found two solutions that failed unexplainedly, both with and without
remediation:

* utils4dal - nothing, just "Confirm" disabled
* wiiclipse - Error dialog: "The following solutions are not available", not
installable, no details provided

I'll look into those some more, but they are not related to remediation.

I tried forcing remediation using the listed error cases from the
marketplace entries, which proved surprisingly difficult, since most of the
conflicts found there seem to have been fixed in the meantime:

* Maven Integration for Eclipse WTP + JBoss Tools (Indigo) - remediation
(install subset, product not affected) - expected result

* Maven Integration for Eclipse WTP (old version 1.3.1+0.15.3) - remediation
(update & install subset - missing dependency for JPA!?)

That last one seems a bit strange to me, since it installs fine without a
missing dependency when installed clean. But again, not a remediation
problem, I get the same with or without.

I found one problem with remediation though:

* Oracle Database Tools for Juno

This one won't install without remediation at all. But with remediation, I
get the following error:

Problems occurred while performing provisioning operation:
org.eclipse.jst.standard.schemas 1.2.0.v201101142102-p001 is unknown in the
solver!
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: org.eclipse.jst.standard.schemas
1.2.0.v201101142102-p001 is unknown in the solver!
		at org.sat4j.pb.tools.DependencyHelper.getIntValue(DependencyHelper.java:222)
		at
org.sat4j.pb.tools.DependencyHelper.getBooleanValueFor(DependencyHelper.java:303)
		at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.director.Projector.getFragmentAssociation(Projector.java:1084)
		at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.director.SimplePlanner.getProvisioningPlan(SimplePlanner.java:395)
		at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.operations.RequestFlexer.resolve(RequestFlexer.java:232)
		at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.operations.RequestFlexer.getChangeRequest(RequestFlexer.java:91)
		at
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.operations.RemediationOperation.computeRemedy(RemediationOperation.java:152)

Pascal, could you check that?

Despite that one error, remediation seems pretty stable to me and I'd vote
to reactivate it for RC3. Ian?

--
Carsten Reckord
  t  +49 561 5743277-33