[mpc-dev] Themes for future MPC development

I would like to kick-off a discussion on what future improvements we should explore for the Marketplace Client.   David and I had the opportunity to meet face to face to talk about some ideas but I would like to get feedback from the entire project team.

There are two themes that I would like to suggest: 1) Get more people to use MPC and 2) Usability.

Theme: Get More People to Use MPC

1. Allow users to share a list of their installed products to a friend.
- It would be ideal for someone to be able to go to the installed tab and share their lists with other people.   This would encourage other people to take the list and use MPC.

2. Ability to launch an install from outside of Eclipse MPC
- The ideal would be to allow solution providers to advertise the ability to install their product from MPC.   From the solution provider web site, the end user could drag a url to an Eclipse install and this would automatically start MPC install for that solution.    This would allow companies to help promote MPC to their customers, instead of promoting update sites or download zip files.

Theme: Usability

1. We need to make it more obvious the existence of the different marketplace catalogs.  I'd like to see better skinning for an external catalog and have icons at the bottom for the different catalogs, instead of having to go to another link.

2. We should look at showing the tags that have been defined for solution and allow the end user to search on the tags.

3. A search results should be paginated.  Right now an end user must go to the embedded browser.

Any other suggestions for themes or features under these themes?

Ian

--
Ian Skerrett
Director of Marketing