Re: [mosquitto-dev] v5 API message modification

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply :) . Of course performance can always be an issue. But as long as it does not impact if unused, I guess is a final user tradeoff, depending on the application.

Other examples I can think of where modifying the output messages can be useful for some people:
  • Mounting/namespacing/jailing some users to a specific level, e.g., an application where 'sensors/temp/{client_id}' is the root for all the temp sensors in the system, while the sensors think they are publishing and subscribing to "/". I imagine this being really useful to build a secure system.
  • MQTT 5 to 3.1.1 translation, where a plugin can be made to append the properties to the payload for 3.1.1 clients, while keeping the rest of the clients using MQTT 5.
Any suggestions on how to do it? Should I expand the existing message event struct with an argument that indicates "read/write" or should I create a new callback altogether?

Kind Regards,
Abilio