Re: [mosquitto-dev] Broker Questions

"Leinen, Rick" <RLeinen@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm just starting out with MQTT and am wondering a couple of things:
>
>   *   How/Can I set a domain name for the Mosquitto broker?

The broker runs on a host and listens on all addresses on that host.
You don' need to set the name in the broker.  clients are welcome to use
DNS to find the broker's IP address, or not.  There is no virtual server
by name notion like in HTTP.

>   *   Is there a typical IP means for discovering MQTT brokers?

What I do is choose a hostname and configure that into all my clients.

Probably there is a scheme for SRV records where you configure a domain
and then lok up _mqtt._tcp.example.com IN SRV or some such, or you could
do that.

You could also do some sort of mdns/zeroconf, but then you are finding a
broker on your local net, which may or may not be what you want, and for
which you may or may not have credentials.

Generally, you need to also figure out how you are handling
authentication.  My bias is that all mqtt needs to be over tls and with
authentication if it involves setting topics or finding out non-public
information (such as any home automation state).