Re: [mosquitto-dev] Changes in latest version breaks watchdog

Update: I now have the watchdog working as before. Don't know what went wrong with the broker authentication but I suspect the update threw a wobbly. The one change I did make was to alter the dependency of my daemon that replies to the watchdog message in its systemd .service file from syslog to rsyslog. But I really don't think that is relevant to the broker problem. Reinstalled mosquitto, rebooted and the watchdog now works fine. So the old cycling of the O-N, O-F-F strategy worked :-)

That said, I still cannot see the /var/run/mosquitto.pid file. This is a minor problem for me since my technique of running a round trip of MQTT messages is a far stronger test of whether the broker has broken(!) than merely checking if the pid file has been removed in an orderly termination by the OS.

I note Greg's comment below, but he is on BSD whereas I am on Linux Mint 19.2. Is anybody on the list running Mint 19.2 (Tina) or Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic) and can see the /var/run/mosquiito.pid file with version 1.6.7?

My only wild speculation is that when the broker tries to open /var/run/mosquiito.pid it hits an 'access denied' error (why? no idea as surely the process should be running as system at that point?) and fails silently. But before I dive into the source code, it would be helpful if somebody could confirm that they see can this pid file on the same Linux distro.

Peter