Re: [mosquitto-dev] config file questions

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 at 20:13, Greg Troxel <gdt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My confusions about listeners are:
>
>   the config file description gives a bunch of statements, but it does
>   not describe structure.  This gives the impression that the statements
>   are unordered and essentially form a set.  But this is not true; there
>   is a hierarchy where some statements create listeners and some
>   statements affect the listener that is currently being defined, which
>   might be implicit.

Many parts of the config file format were inherited from RSMB, an IBM
originally proprietary MQTT broker. With hindsight there are plenty of
things that could have been improved about it.

Something I would like to do for a breaking 2.0 version is use a more
standard configuration format that can have some form of structure.
I've been looking at this recently and have some example config files
in a few different formats ready for an email to go to this list for
opinions.

One change I'm keen to make when this happens is the removal of the
default listener, so only explicit listeners are allowed.

>   The documentation talks about port 1883 vs 8883, which is obviously a
>   pair that one does not and does usually use TLS on.  But it doesn't
>   say that port number and TLS are or are not linked.  I think they
>   aren't linked in code, just by custom.

I feel as though you're pulling my leg a bit at this point :) This is
just the same as port 80 and 443, they're defined by custom and IANA.

Cheers,

Roger

Back to the top