Re: [mosquitto-dev] cnofig file theory, standard approach

   A proper init system, and today there exist several alternatives, do not
   depend on the pid file.

Perfectly fair to point out that different styles of running systems
need different defaults, but calling your preferred init system "proper"
vs traditional approaches seems a bit much :-)

  stderr is the only logging option that does not depend on other daemons,
  so from mosquitto point of view, it a good default.

Windows aside, are there really significant (regular computer)
environments where logging via syslog(3) doesn't work?  I would expect
that to be the approach in 99% of cases.

  Deamonizing should be controlled by the service supervisor, it should
  not be the default from each and every program.
  I appreciate the mosquitto's approach to this.

There are obviously multiple views out there.  I find that the vast
majority of programs whose normal use is as a daemon daemonize by
default.  This is not important; it's just a question of which systems
have "do daemonize" vs "don't daemonize" in init scripts.

Back to the top