[mosquitto-dev] anonymous_false and mosquitto.conf not working

I set up my PI to run as a MQTT broker. As long as I was not trying to use a username and password, MQTT connected to the broker just fine and I could use Node-Red with no trouble. As soon as I modified mosquitto.conf to use a passwordfile and I created a passwordfile with username and password inside it, the "connection failed to broker".
After modifying mosquitto.conf I was careful to reboot each time. I am stuck. I cannot seem to get the authentication to allow the broker to connect. Please advise.
Link to screenshot with all OK...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/czrwzxinqkqof ... K.jpg?dl=0

Link to screenshot with all Not OK...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2zihpn86icpi ... t.jpg?dl=0