Re: [mosquitto-dev] mosquitto-dev Digest, Vol 47, Issue 7

I think piping the mosquitto_sub output to another tool is fine,
provided the tools themselves exist on the target machine.  For
embedded Linux installs (think busybox/DD-WRT) where tool support
(python, etc) is potentially lacking, having the base tools provided
by mosquitto provide the capability is a nice to have.

It isn't difficult otherwise to write a one-off embedded C client to
accomplish the same - I just think if binary payloads are a common
part of the MQTT protocol then mosquitto_sub should have some option
to support output of them in some way - the default of displaying the
characters as ASCII does not work well for binary payloads or
(depending on the terminal) unicode payloads.

Regards,
Brandon