[mosquitto-dev] Using mosquitto broker without websockets

Hello,

I am working on a proof of concept for an IOT device for my company.  So I am really new at working with MQTT and am a little confused about using TCP or websockets.  The sample device I am using publishes over TCP on port 1883.    I have a connected the device to mosquiotto.   Can I have a MQTT websocket client also connected to the broker, say on port 9001.   Will the client on port 9001 be able to subscribe to the messages published on port 1883?  Or do they both have to be on websockets or plain TCP?

 I started with some sample code from Contiki which publishes MQTT messages to IBM Quickstart.   Simple,  works fine on my home  network.  However, at work I have issues with our proxy and my IT dept is not keen on opening up the network.      I can't set proxy info on the sample code without updating it to websockets.  So my thought is to either route the message to mosquitto and have a client locally that visualizes the data, or use the mosquitto as a bridge.  So,  Do you know of any app/web clients sample code that  can connect to the broker and display the data locally?   Can I use  mosquitto  to bridge to  IBM Quickstart? Can I set proxy information for the bridge?  How do I do that?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Best regards

Lacrecia Ruman-Roe
Embedded Software Engineer III | FEI Software R&D
Endress+Hauser (USA) Automation Instrumentation Inc. | 2340 Endress Place | Greenwood |  46143 | USA
Phone: +1 317 535 2791 | Mobile:  | Fax:
lacrecia.ruman-roe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | www.us.endress.com

Disclaimer:

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer. This e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract offer unless explicitly and conspicuously designated or stated as such.

Back to the top