Re: [mojarra-dev] Mojarra.Next

Hi again,

El lun., 8 ene. 2018 21:33, arjan tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I wasn't even aware there was a Mojarra list already on Eclipse. Thanks for BCC'ing me!

No problems ;)

I've seen your refactorings these days. Good work! How much work is still pending on that subject?

Thanks. There's still a certain amount of work to be done, mostly everything in the old JSF-RI folder needs to be moved or deleted so that folder itself can be deleted. Then ideally impl/pom.xml would see all of its ant commands removed and replaced by something Maven native. The component generation code is also somewhat problematic and should probably be replaced by something more modern (likely annotation based). The current XML file with all of its xincludes of properties and arguments, and especially all the digester rules, are not that easy to maintain.
I don't know how that's implemented and if this can be even related, but BootsFaces has a component generation tool created as an XText extension. It creates components by parsing a special file (https://github.com/TheCoder4eu/BootsFaces-OSP/blob/master/xtext/BootsFaces.jsfdsl).

Stephan Rauh has enhanced it to also generate renderers for the next BootsFaces version. Code for that new version is still private but perhaps the idea could help here? (I'm bcc'ing Stephan and hopefully he will also comment here).

When talking about a fork, do you plan it ti be a real temporary fork with regular releases that could be used by vendors? Or just a place for true experiments? We must keep in mind that the donation process might take a lot of time. Is somebody still allowed to do Mojarra releases implementing new features?

These are the most pressing questions indeed. Currently my idea would be to have a fork over at the Payara repos. I already have a fork there, but that one basically tracks the Mojarra master (with said refactorings) and from there releases are done for in Payara 5. E.g. the latest Payara 5 beta 1 contains an early build of Mojarra 2.4.

The fact that the donation process might take a lot of time is indeed the reason for doing this. Say it takes 2 full years. That's a really, really long time for doing nothing. If we'd still have to start with doing feature work after these 2 years, then it will really be a long time before we get to see any new version of JSF.

The plan is though to donate whatever new features are developed in that Payara branch to Eclipse as soon as the Oracle transfer has been completed.
So at least Payara would ship that improved version, even if no official versions are released. That's great.

But understandably, most vendors won't update unless some release takes place. We'd need to figure out some way to push user adoption.

Talking about experimental features, what are your ideas for the next steps? I suppose you still have big plans for simplifying component creation.

Indeed, that's an important one. It missed the boat for 2.3 completely, and is still very much needed.

BootsFaces has a cool AJAX integration that in my opinion is much more natural than the current <f:ajax /> approach (https://showcase.bootsfaces.net/forms/ajax.jsf). That's one of the main features I'd like to experiment with.

I haven't looked at that one in detail, but may be interesting. Thx!
The main thing there is that it lacks IDE support. The logical step would be to move to EL expressions so something like _onclick_="ajax:#{bean.action}" getting that IDE support for free. I haven't looked at it yet but Stephan told me he found some technical difficulties while trying to do it.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero