[modeling-pmc] Restructuring EMF-IncQuery and VIATRA projects

Dear PMC,

in order to avoid a potential trademark issue between the EMF-IncQuery project and IncQuery Labs Ltd. (a key supporter of both EMF-IncQuery and VIATRA), we would like to propose to change the name of the EMF-IncQuery project, after consultation with the Eclipse Foundation.

Considering the close relation of the EMF-IncQuery and VIATRA projects (both in terms of common committers and technological dependencies), we are proposing to combine the renaming with a restructuring that involves merging EMF-IncQuery into VIATRA and introducing a new component structure.

To this end, we asked all committers two questions on the development mailing lists:
* Do you agree with renaming "EMF-IncQuery" to "VIATRA Incremental Queries"?
* Do you agree with the new proposed project structure, i.e. moving the code from EMF-IncQuery to VIATRA?

These votes finished with the following results:
EMF-IncQuery [1]
* Renaming 8 yes / 2 non-voting / 0 no
* Restructuring 9 yes / 1 non-voting / 0 no
VIATRA [2]
* Renaming: 10 yes / 0 non-voting / 0 no
* Restructuring: 10 yes / 0 non-voting / 0 no

Based on these results, we are preparing a formal restructuring review. Additionally, considering VIATRA is still in incubation while EMF-IncQuery already graduated, we would combine this with a graduation review of VIATRA.

However, before we start, we would like to ask the PMC to give a preliminary approval of this plan.

Thank you,
Ábel Hegedüs, István Ráth (EMF-IncQuery project leads)
Zoltán Ujhelyi, Dániel Varró (VIATRA project leads)

[1] https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/incquery-dev/msg00988.html
[2] https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/viatra-dev/msg00405.html

Back to the top