Re: [modeling-pmc] New project proposal Technical Architecture Modeling

Dear Benjamin.
I am helping to manage the GMF Tooling project. I cc two people in your company that know me, and who work on related topics.

First of all, I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that GMF Tooling is going to support the Graphiti  runtime as well, so it will be possible to generate a Graphiti based block-diagram editor with GMF Tooling. It would as well be possible to generate the other kind of UML diagrams. We could organize a student team, that does this, but we would need to enter the proposal within two weeks.

I propose this, because on your page it tells:
TAM is a pragmatic combination of FMC and UML based on modeling best practices at SAP, defining a reasonable subset of diagram types and elements.
- On conceptual level, TAM is FMC with (partly) UML notation.
Thus if you want to have an editor just for a subset of UML and partial UML notation, you need to regenerate the UML diagram types..

If you reuse the Papyrus diagram editors, maybe you want to generate a block diagram editor as well for the GMF Runtime (as the Papyrus editors).  Of course this is the more stable functionality of GMF Tooling. We recently started to integrate the SimpleMap technology into GMF Tooling, so you may do it by simple specifying the Block diagram editor in SimpleMap, a graphical editor to define graphical editors. This would be the fastest, but least proven way.

I CC Sebasien and Michael, the component leads of Papyrus and GMF tooling. Tomorrow there is a workshop in Prague between the Papyrus and GMF Tooling teams, so if you want more feedbacks, the two of them could discuss it tomorrow. Maybe you brought an interesting topic to their attention: combinability between Papyrus editors and Graphiti based editors. Maybe the GMF tooling generator for Graphiti could take this into consideration...

Regarding your question where to add the project, the PMC has to answer. Our team in Prag, doing the GMF Tooling project is certainly happy to be helpful, independent of the runtime technology you choose.

Regards, Philipp

   1. New project proposal Technical Architecture Modeling	(TAM)
      (Schmeling, Benjamin)

Message: 1