Re: [modeling-pmc] Sven's comment on Comment to Ed's new main textfor the Eclipse Modeling Project

Title: AW: [modeling-pmc] Sven's comment on Comment to Ed's new main textfor the Eclipse Modeling Project

Hi all,

Sven wrote:
>I totally respect the work people did at OMG but it is just not relevant for me nor to any of the technologies I've been working on in the past years.
>And it never was. I never shared those visions nor do I know that anybody I work with does.

Well, at least MOF/EMoF is relevant for you and all technologies/framework in the EMP, isn't it? You entire Xtext approach is based on MOF, isn't it?

Just a minor note from someone who is not involved in making the decisions for EMP: My impression is that there is an OMG vs. non-OMG group, meaning, should all the standards that are implemented with EMF are listed or not. I think, they should be listed, because as against Sebastians comment, I think those OMG specifications are not "bloated", but provide a very good conceptual foundation to achieve lots of different things. I do agree that the acronyms should not be the eye-catcher on the landing page, but if I were you, I would keep the strong relationship to OMG standards, since these implementation are EMP's opener into many companies.

Finally, I do also know that some companies/people think everything the OMG specifies is much too complicated. Instead those people try to rather make DSLs for their needs that resemble OMG standards so much that I'm wondering why the OMG specification has not been used. DSLs are great, but OMG standards as well, since they come from the industry and have a strong industrial background. Avoiding those standards in the landing page would be disadvantageous for EMP.

Marc-Florian