Re: [modeling-pmc] AMP in Indigo Modeling category

Miles,

Sorry for the slow reply. I'd suggest finding out what Xtext is doing. Also, it seems to me that SVN support faces similar problems and I think when you install SVN support (Subversion) it points you at offsite connectors. So it will be interesting to see how that fits within the legal frameworks; I'm really not sure. Generally such dependencies still need to be IP approved and must be of the "works-with" variety. I.e., your software works well without it but has some more bells and whistles when it's available. I'm not sure how that applies for SVN though because it seems to me useless without the connectors...

I don't have any objections in principle, but definitely it's good to see how others (e.g, Xtext) are tackling this and to coordinate your efforts with Cedric...

Cheers,
Ed

Miles Parker wrote:
Hi all,

I'm just wanting to coordinate adding AMP to the custom category for Modeling for M4. I anticipate having only an SDK feature, no runtime and no examples since the examples are projects imported through cheat sheets.

If possible I'd like to figure out how to include extensions (mainly 3D support which is a key feature for AMP and GEF3D depends on) without cluttering up the Modeling category. I'd like to have just one extension with reference to the common things people will need, but those would require third party (non-Eclipse IP approved) update site reference to install. This is what we're already doing for the Discovery site. I know that XText has a similar issue with the ANTLR parser, but I'm not sure whether there is a reference to this dependency or not from XText and I can't mark mine as optional. So a) technically is it possible to have a dependency on non-Eclipse P2 site form B3 aggregator (I don't want to break M4 build!!) and b) legally can/should we have dependencies on non-IP approved third party sites in Indigo site (it already exists on AMP site), and most importantly c) how does PMC feel about having that in Modeling category? (The concern I could see is if someone just c
 licks on the whole modeling category, that's going to prevent a simple click-through install.)

cheers,

Miles