Re: [modeling-pmc] Eclipse Modeling Package Mega Diet

Cédric,

This sounds like a very good approach.  I think the components you've identified are the right core set.

I'd like to suggest that the Amalgmation committers vote to make you the lead given you're by far the most active.  The EMO has been waiting for a leader to be designated so let's find closure as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Ed

Cédric Brun wrote:
Hi Ed,

I don't think thats an issue about component being in incubation or not, sometimes we're making mistakes, whether we're incubating or not.

My point is we can tackle the consistency and the style conformity starting from the core components and then notifying other components about what could be changed and it's part of my commitment to the amalgam project to do so just like Rich started to do so at some point.

And yes, most components providing concrete syntax definition tooling should be split in a small runtime versus tooling and editors so that we can include some concrete syntax without including the generic tooling.  That's the case for GMF, I don't know if that's the case for XText too.

AFAIK GMF runtime do not depend in any way on QVTo  and that's why I was thinking about including EcoreTools , if that means including too much of the other components then we can move into the direction Sven pointed at : keeping EMF and installing all the other components through the discovery ui.

Concerning the 280598 bug, we can only avoid those by testing the package and that's why I would like to focus on just "one package" and not severals like the Amalgam project used to provide.

I see a few reasons explaining why nobody cares to test :
 - project leads are not "pinged" to have a try on the package RC's
 - as a project lead you don' t easily get feedback about your component integration
 - we don't "market" the package to the community at large
 - the commiters are not using the package themselves

Cédric