Re: [modeling-pmc] Fwd: Graphiti project proposal

This looks very cool.  It's of course very likely to cause confusion as yet another graphical modeling framework, but hey, the modeling project is already rife with overlapping similar solutions so this will be yet another example of that.  I agree with Cédric though that graphical modeling framework projects should exist within an umbrella project rather than be separate parallel projects right under Modeling, i.e., it should be handled just like what we've done with M2M and M2T.  I'm not sure what to call that umbrella project and I suppose we'll need to follow various heavy-weight processes to make it happen...

Overall the document looks good, but the scope section is a little weak.  Is objective == scope?  Talking about what issues are not (initially) covered as part of the scope section doesn't make good sense either, i.e., are these issues in or out of scope?  I'd say they are in scope but it might take a while to get to them.

The proposal mentions using EMF for the domain model, but I wonder if there will there be yet another command framework as part of these APIs.

Regards,
Ed

Cédric Brun wrote:
I'm wondering, wouldn't it be better to create Graphiti as a subproject
of GMF, it's a Graphical Modeling Framework right ? and Moreover the
proposal emphasis on the complementarity of both. My concern is that
people will have a hard time to find their way in the numerous modeling
technologies if it's not even "grouped" in a comprehensive way..

Cédric

Anne Jacko a écrit :

Modeling PMC --

Apologies for not including you on the earlier email about the
Graphiti proposal. Please review and comment.  Thanks.

http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/graphiti/

Anne Jacko
emo@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:emo@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Begin forwarded message: