Re: [modeling-pmc] Re: New project -- EMF Registry

Hi Dave, Ed, Sven et al

Dave Steinberg wrote:

Just to add one more thought to the questions about the scope of this proposal and whether it should best be included in an existing component...

Is it possible for a non-incubating MDT component, like OCL, to depend on an incubating EMFT component? I would think not.

Christian and I discussed precisely these concerns in http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/mdt.dev/msg00311.html
which was copied to PMC but got no response.

I requested comment again in http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/modeling-pmc/msg01031.html but got no response.

My (perhaps wishful) recollection from I think a more general discussion was that the "with incubation" branding could allow the main
MDT-OCL features to be unaffected, but for an additional incubation example feature to have incubation dependencies. I don't seem to
be able to find the thread where I mooted the unattractive prospect of having to start two new projects; one for an editor and one for a registry.

This dilemma is perhaps the best technical/bureaucratic reason for abandoning this proposal. If the proposed contribution is contained completely
within a mature project, it can completely bypass the incubation phase!

It seems clear that this proposal is not wanted and that I am wasting my and everyone else's time by trying to do what I perceive
to be the 'right' thing; making a useful project-independent functionality project-independent.

I could reply to Ed and Sven's comments but since we clearly start with very different perspectives, too much time and energy would
be wasted in resolving or not resolving some fundamental misunderstandings.

Proposal withdrawn.

    Regards

       Ed Willink

Cheers,