RE: [modeling-pmc] Transition Plan for MDT OCLandEMF"QTV"Components?

Title: Message
Hi Ed
In my opinion, it's in the best interest of the OCL project and hence the community to appoint as soon as possible an individual who is motivated and skilled to act as a long term leader, and is in a sustainable position because of  the relatively secure financial backing of a commercial entity.  The best interests of the community are the basis for the principles of the Eclipse development process and in my opinion supersede them when they are in conflict.  In the end, I expect to go forward with a list that includes a long term leader; interim leaders won't cut it so please don't propose that.  I can certainly wait beyond this week for the discussions to ramp down, but I must have a new list in place well before RC1 to ensure the viability of the release train.

There have been so many notes, I'm not sure if anyone has suggested an other leader yet.  I'm also not sure if any of the people on the short list would object to Freddy being the leader. Having Obeo, as a strategic developer commercially committed to Eclipse success, backing this effort definitely would give me significant confidence.  I'd like to suggest we try to be a little more pragmatic and a little less pedantic while remaining fair to all the interested parties.  After all deadbeats can be easily decommiterized, as I've learned from personal experience with that process this week, so I'd be inclined to include more people rather than less.
I agree completely; although the Eclipse IP logs may suggest me as the project lead
and others have graciously acceded, I just do not qualify:

I have no experience of the detailed releng processes.

I am frightened by the list of Galileo requirements for M6.

I have no financial backing; my employment by Thales is coincidental.

I am not confident that I can commit enough time to both contribute to and lead
MDT-OCL, as well as QVT Declarative and GMT/UMLX and other oddments.

Augmenting the qualifying contributors by a good leader seems to be essential.

    Regards

        Ed Willink

Back to the top