[modeling-pmc] Xtext dependency to unapproved Antlr generator

Hi PMC,

Xtext has had a strong dependency to an unapproved 3rd party library (Antlr 3 generator) (I blogged about it http://blog.efftinge.de/2009/01/xtext-new-parser-backend.html).
We managed to come up with an approved alternative implementation, so that the whole thing works and can be used without it now. However we don't want to remove the dependency completely for now, because we haven't fully caught up yet (the error recognition of our implementation is not as good as with the Antlr version so far).

Anyway, we think that the dependency is no longer a 'pre-req' but a 'works-with' dependency, which dilutes the issue a lot.
Note that we don't have any compile time nor runtime dependency to it. It can optionally be used at runtime by providing respective configuration and putting it on the class path (a qualified class name).

However, as defined here (http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Eclipse_Policy_and_Procedure_for_3rd_Party_Dependencies_Final.pdf), it seems that the PMC has to decide what kind of dependency it actually is.

So how should we handle this?

Cheers,
Sven

Back to the top