RE: [modeling-pmc] feedback on GMT web site

Bernd,

With regard to component creation, in an ideal world, you'd have a clear
proposal written quickly.  This would be useful even as the contents of the
home page for that component, so the effort to write it isn't wasted.  It
would list the committers.  Again, you'd want all that good information for
the contributors pages and for the committer forms.   You'd want to send
out an announcement to the members at large for the cool new thing you'd be
doing.  I.e., all the information would be reusable for many purposes.
We'd post the proposal or link to it in the newsgroup for comment, allowing
a week to pass, then we'd call for a vote on the mailing list, again,
allowing a week to pass (or until all the committers have voted, which
never seems to happen but could reduce the delay to a day).  Then I'd need
to do the new committer paperwork, request the module creation, and we'd
need IPZilla for anything new being contributed (and can use parallel IP to
speed that up).  Potentially all such things could be done in just three or
four weeks (and I know the delay is often longer because it takes me a lot
longer to do some things than it ought to).  Unfortunately I can't see how
proper organization of focused components and proper adherence to Eclipse
processes can be achieved without all these steps.

We greatly value the things you, Markus, and others folks who have worked
on oAW contribute to the community and we also value your long term
participation.  So hopefully you guys won't allow these bumps in the road
to discourage you too much.  I understand fully that it's very
furstrating...

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 969)

             "Bernd Kolb"
             <b.kolb@kolbware.
             de>                                                        To
             Sent by:                  "'Jean Bezivin'"
             modeling-pmc-boun         <Jean.Bezivin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
                                       <modeling-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
             10/20/2007 03:48          "'Markus Voelter'"
             AM                        <voelter@xxxxxxx>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [modeling-pmc] feedback on GMT
             Please respond to         web site
                PMC members
               mailing list
             <modeling-pmc@ecl
                 ipse.org>

Jean,

As discussed several times before, here again my answers: