Re: [modeling-pmc] Logo Contest Vote

Hi Gen, hi Rich, hi all,

I thought it would be a good idea to run the winning submission past the team responsible for the original Eclipse artwork, to see if they had any comments or suggestions.  I talked to Linda Watson, and like everyone around here, she was really impressed with Gen's artwork!

I also asked about the question of whether the logo usage guidelines would allow for the original Eclipse imagery to be used in place of the similar spheres in this logo.  She said there would be no problem with that, and agreed that it would be a nice thing to try:

"We could try giving her [Gen] just the 'sphere' layers in our original design file and see if they incorporate well into her design... I think that might work....
Although the Foundation is very relaxed around Eclipse identity, I do think it's preferable that there be some consistency when graphical eclipse elements are used."

She then clarified that the logos at http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/index.php are layered, so Gen could choose an appropriate size from the .ai files, then isolate the layers she needs.

If Gen and the PMC are okay with this, I think that would be worth trying, as it could add just a touch more pizazz to the logo and, more importantly, increase consistency with the Eclipse identity artwork.

The only other advice she gave was for the PMC to think about what its immediate needs and intents are for the artwork.  Obviously, we'll be using it for the Web site, but will we also want to use it on posters or T-shirts?  If so, we might want to think about doing something like what they have done with 4 colour and 2 colour versions (pictured on the above Web page), as the former is higher quality and the latter cheaper to print.  She suggests starting with what we have immediate need for, and adding as new need arises.

I'll echo these comments on bug 154906.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Steinberg
Rational Software - IBM Toronto Lab

Richard Gronback <richard.gronback@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: modeling-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/03/2006 06:25 AM

Please respond to
PMC members mailing list <modeling-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Nishimura <GEN3@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
FW: [modeling-pmc] Logo Contest Vote

Forwarding Gen's reply:
----------------------------

Thank you, I'm really proud of the logo being selected for the Eclipse
Modeling Project.
(Since gen3@xxxxxxxxxxxx is my 'read only' e-mail address, let me switch to
another e-mail account (called IBM, by the way.))

I'd like to thank you all for comments regarding the logo (in the
bugzilla,)
it really helped me designing the logo, and I really enjoyed "developing
OUR logo."
(To me it was more like an open source effort to designing a logo, rather
than a contest.)

Here's the logo in Adobe Illustrator CS2 format (Mac)

(See attached file: emp_logo3.tar.gz)

If you are in need of high resolution graphics or even some modifications,
I'm happy to work on that, but please give me the details. (eg.
640x480/24bit color, change background color to gray...)
Of course, there's nothing stopping you from using the .ai file included
and do all those things yourself, if you wish.

GEN NISHIMURA
Rational Technical Solutions, Software Engineering
Technical Strategy&Competency, Service Strategy, IBM Japan

Back to the top