[modeling-dev] Please save me from the flags

Hi Nick,

I'm not sure if you're the right one to ask about Bugzilla fields. I
cc'ed Denis, too.

For quite some time now I'm rather annoyed by the "release train" flags
like galileo+ or helios+. Well, the real problem is that with the advent
of these flags the *target milestone* list values have changed in a way
that they're mostly meaningful only in combination with these flags.
Flags in general seem to have a lot of disadvantages:

1) They're comparingly hard to query (require a boolean chart via web
UI, no support yet in Mylyn)
2) They're not displayable in query results (how do I distinguish the
bugs for HEAD and maintenance?)
3) They're not changeable via mass update (together with poor bugzilla
performance this can delay dinner by hours)
4) They are not mutually exclusive (ok, easy to cope with)

In addition I don't have the chance to enter target milestones that are
*between* the release train milestones, like 2.0.x, or even SR1/RC2.

I think what I really would like to have is the following:

- A dropdown list with the release train names for assigning the
bugzilla to a particular development stream while triaging

*PLUS*

- A text field where I can freely enter a concrete target build for the
changes

Since we usually have so many components (which are effectivley separate
projects with their own process) sharing the same dropdown choices I
really don't see that we find a common list of target builds (why are
they constrained to milestones??) that satisfies all needs. Please give
me a free text field for this ;-)

I'd be glad to copy this request into a bugzilla if you think this is
appropriate.

BTW. if you're interested in our effort to make our bugzilla process
more formal and transparent, please refer to
http://www.eclipse.org/cdo/development/process

Cheers
/Eike

----