Re: [mobile-iwg] Status of Pulsar Eclipse Galileo package

Thanks David for the detailed explanation.

I understand the schedule pressure, and I think your contribution is a great first step.
We'll have to now keep working on this, and lay out a roadmap.

Let's use this as a basis for our call on Thursday.

Christian

David.Dubrow@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Christian,

I’m afraid I don’t have any good news regarding many of your questions. :(

First, when I say “install a selected SDK” I mean I will invoke the p2 install wizard on the installable unit for that sdk using the metadata and artifact repository URLs.

Now the bad news:

I have not addressed HTTP authentication, and assumed from our last conference call that repositories would be on open HTTP servers. If p2 does have support for handling authentication, we would need to find out what we will need to do to enable this support or maybe we might get it for free, but I have not checked the specific p2 requirements.

As far as the form of sdk installers, for what I’m doing in this limited amount of time, two forms are supported – (1) executable installers which are executed as any other executable might be and (2) zip archives to be unzipped at the location where the user chooses. As far as I know, there is no platform dependency since I am using java to execute a process and the built in p2 native unzip action does not have any platform dependency. However, I have only tested on Windows and the unit tests do have a dependency on Windows.

I did not make myself familiar with MTJ registration APIs or UEI compliance because of the lack of time but will be glad to incorporate any contribution from the MTJ team that could be added in time. I imagine this would be an action that could be done after installation? During p2’s “configure” phase? If so, p2’s action extensions are relatively simple to develop and I would be happy to give assistance or point to example code.

Finally, there is no support planned in the first release of the metadata generation tool for installation of OSGi plugins like the ones you mention for RIM’s SDK (I did not know this was needed). In any case, eclipse plugins are supported by p2’s admin tool, and we should be able to install them, but the p2 metadata would have to be modified with a few additional properties to be usable in the pulsar installer view. I could provide support to modify the standard p2 metadata. Alternatively, if they could be provided as a zip file, they could be unzipped in eclipse’s “dropins” directory as a method of installation.

I am sorry about these responses, but we do not have much time to develop this and all these issues can be addressed for the next release.

--David