From: mobile-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mobile-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Olsén, Ingemar
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 8:51 AM
To: mobile-iwg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mobile-iwg] Comments on quickinstall

Hi!

I would like to make some comments on the topic on the meeting yesterday regarding the proposal on Quickinstall for vendor specific SDK's (http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMIWG/MADKQuickStartUseCasesDiscussion#Open_Ques). I should have raised the question during the meeting yesterday but I felt that I had to investigate some things first.

SonyEricsson is going to release a new SDK soon. It will be compliant with Sun's JavaME SDK 3.0 (formerly known as WTK). In the new architecture of SDK 3.0 the concept of vendor specific SDK's is not really apropriate, each vendor only needs to create their own device adapter to the SDK 3.0. I would like to refer to the mail that Tomas Westling sent (http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/mobile-iwg/msg00038.html) and the picture attached to this mail to get an understanding of how it works in concept. As you can see, according to this new architecture, there is no direct contact between the vendor specific device adapter and the IDE. Everything is handeled through the UEI implementation of SDK 3.0. The most important thing for SonyEricsson is that the MADK is able to install and to be compliant with the SDK 3.0 from Sun. This should not be a problem since it will be fully UEI compatible.

Given this scenario, in my mind there will not be a SonyEricsson alternative in the list of installable SDK's in the quickinstaller but there should be a Sun Java ME SDK 3.0 alternative instead.

The question is what will happen to other vendors SDK's. Most of them are based on Sun's previous WTK solution, will thay also upgrade to JavaME SDK 3.0? In that case, will the quickinstaller be superfluous?

Regarding the questions in the agenda for the meeting yesterday on the SDK 3.0 integration:

    Q: it has a "Device Manager" - can we integrate this in Eclipse?