Re: [mihini-dev] [REST] Tech Preview

OAuth seems quite advanced indeed. It looks like it would be quite expensive to support (compared to a digest standard auth). Digest is not perfect, granted, but it is very simple to implement. If later on we find out that digest is not sufficient for a use case, we can always work on a SSL (https) layer in addition to that. SSL would provide the maximum level of security.

-----Original Message-----
From: mihini-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mihini-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Romain Perier
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM
To: mihini-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [mihini-dev] [REST] Tech Preview

Hi all,
I would suggest two modes (the modes would be activable in the configstore):

1. No security: Assuming, a member of the community plans to use Mihini on his rasp. pi, he does not want necesseraly to implement/use security (it's not easy to deploy and useless on a local network) 2. OAuth 2.0 [1] : A well-known authentication mechanism designed for that purpose

What do you think ? I mean, it would be better to use a good authentication mechanism instead of a one with security holes, imho.

1. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6749