Re: [mihini-dev] m3da server for mihini automatic tests

Starting the server in the tests is definitely way better than relying on a external piece of infrastructure.
As for hosting the server jars, I can see several possibilities:
- get the jar hosted in the Eclipse foundation maven repo, if you can get it approved as a workwith dependency.
- get the jar hosted on Maven central or bintray
- move the server code to be hosted at the EF :)

m2c.

Pascal

On 2013-04-08, at 9:30 AM, Laurent Barthelemy wrote:

Hello,

We are currently evaluating the use of m3da-server (https://github.com/SierraWireless/m3da-server) as the server to run our automated test suites (we plan to move those test suites to Eclipse Jenkins soon).
Before we had an test server built using m3da files used in mihini agent, this is not possible to reuse those files for m3da server implementation anymore so we are trying to find the best solution.

Several questions arise here:

Will we use the server instance hosted at m2m.eclipse.org, or start a new instance of the server each time a test job is started?

If we choose the first solution, the support (e.g. updating ) of the server running m2m.eclipse.org may be an issue or at least a concern.

If we choose the second solution, the question of building/hosting the server artifact (a .jar file) needs to be solved.
Building the server during test job would require having JDK + maven dependencies on each test machine.
Each mihini developer should be able to easily run most of automated tests on his dev machine, so for now I would prefer to avoid this.
Another possibility is to download ,during the test job, the jar file:  setting up a continuous integration for m3da-server on github is being evaluated, we could get the jar from there.

Regards,

Laurent