[mdt.dev] Galileo

Team,

As we put the finishing touches on our M3 milestone builds, I’d like to draw your attention to the requirements for participation in the Galileo Simultaneous Release train, which can be found at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Galileo_Simultaneous_Release. Projects/components will be held to these requirements more strictly than in previous releases, and a (large) number of cascading Bugzilla entries have been created to track/assess compliance. I’ve added the leads of the components that are part of Galileo to the CC list for these bugs.

In particular, note the following requirements for our next milestone, due by December 17 for M4+1 components (OCL, UML2, XSD) and January 5 for M4+3 components (UML2 Tools):

Projects must have stated and demonstrated their intent to join Galileo by the M4+0 date. Projects do so by adding themselves to the table/list above, by signing off each milestone/RC on the Galileo/Signoffs page, and by contributing appropriate build contribution.

Projects must have an project plan in XML format.

At least one person from each project must subscribe to cross-project bug inbox, i.e. edit Bugzilla prefs to watch "cross-project.inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx". Build team members (or their designated alternates) from each project will provide communication channels: phone, mail, IM, IRC and will be available during the milestone integration periods.

Project representatives must attend the planning meetings and conference calls - you have to be involved to be involved.

Projects must use Eclipse message bundles unless there are technical reasons not to. (see Message Bundle Conversion Tool and [1])

Projects must use signed plugins using the Eclipse certificate. Exceptions must be authorized by the planning council for technical reasons.

Projects must have build process maturity: scripted, repeatable, and executable by others.

Any new third-party plug-ins that are common between projects must be consumed via Orbit; the final Galileo release will not have duplicate third-party libraries (note that this only applies to identical versions of the libraries; thus if project A requires foo.jar 1.6 and project B uses foo.jar 1.7, that's ok).

Projects must optimize their own update site using pack200 to reduce bandwidth utilization and provide a better update experience for users. With the introduction of p2, project update sites must generate metadata (artifact and content repository info).

Component leads, please ensure that you are complying with these requirements. Given that our components will become projects before Galileo is released, the onus is on each component (project) lead to meet these requirements. This means that all component leads (for components on the train) must, for example, watch ‘cross-project.inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx’ and attend planning meetings and conference calls. Have you been doing that? Please familiarize yourselves with the requirements for future milestones as well, as some of them will require code changes! For example, all components must use ICU4J and must define capability/activity definitions for their UI contributions. Do your components do this? If not, get coding!

Of course, I’ll be standing by as your faithful whip-cracker (cat-herder?) to help ensure that we’re on track. Please let me know if there’s any way that I can help.

Thanks,

Kenn Hussey
Program Manager, Modeling and Design Solutions

[Embarcadero Technologies Logo]

Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. | www.embarcadero.com
82 Peter Street, Second Floor | TorontoON  M5V 2G5
Kenn.Hussey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Office: 416-593-1585 x9296 Mobile: 613-301-9105

Back to the top