[mdt-sbvr.dev] MRV Experiment

Here's the experiment that I performed with the MRV model from MDT-SBVR. (See attached file: sbvrTest.java)What this attempts is creating of this SBVR vocabulary:

* Vehicle
* Car of type Vehicle
* Car Model of type Text
* Driver / Motorist
* Name of type Text
* Age of type Number
* Home Address of type Address
* Work Address of type Address
* is of Age (characteristic) with Definition "The age of the driver is at least the minimum driving age"
* Address
* City of type Text
* State of type Text
* Zipcode of type Text
*
* Driver rents Car / Car rented by Driver

... and some individual concepts and actualities based on the vocabulary:

* bill, a Driver with name "Bill"
* john, a Driver with name "John"
* carA, a Car
* carB, a Car
* address1, an Address used as the Home Address for Bill
* city: "Ossining"
* state: "NY"
* zipcode: "10562"
* address2, an Address used as the Work Address for Bill
* city: "Yorktown Heights"
* state: "NY"
* zipcode: "10598"
* Bill is of Age
* Bill rents carA
* Bill rents carB

It persists these in a file that looks like this: (See attached file: driverModel.sbvr). As you can see, this file consists of a bunch of "PackagedElements". It then loads the file (to verify that storing & loading work ok) and prints out the contents. Here's the output: (See attached file: sbvr test.txt)

The limitations of the current MRV implementation prevent some aspects of this from working properly:

  1. There seems to be no way to retrieve the Designations or Definitions of a Concept, hence these are not printed as I had planned.
  2. There are many duplicate Texts (e.g. "has") because there is no infrastructure for eliminating duplicates.
  3. I cannot implement the actualities listed above (e.g. "Bill rents carA") because AutomicFormulation is not yet supported.

My motivation for doing all this was twofold: (a) to understand better the state of the MRV implementation; and (b) to have a basis for comparison with the "EMF Extension" approach that I described in a note back on August 23. This experiment is a parallel of the "sbvrModel" example that Andrey Soares created during his work for me this past summer. I will report on my thoughts about these two ways of implementing an EMF model of SBVR in a separate note.

Mark H. Linehan
STSM, Model Driven Business Transformation
IBM Research

phone: (914) 945-1038 or IBM tieline 862-1038
internet: mlinehan@xxxxxxxxxx