[mdt-sbvr.dev] FW: Draft RFP for Business Friendly Notation for Business Vocabulary and Rules (BFN4BVR)

FYI, posted to the OMG sbvr-rtf list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Barkmeyer [mailto:edbark@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 9:27 AM
To: Business Modeling & Integration DTF
Cc: sbvr-rtf@xxxxxxx
Subject: Draft RFP for Business Friendly Notation for Business Vocabulary
and Rules (BFN4BVR)

At the Washington meeting, I agreed to create a rough draft of an RFP
for a "normative surface language for SBVR".  I have done what I
promised.  The "working title" is:

Business Friendly Notation for Business Vocabulary and Rules (BFN4BVR)

The document is now available at
http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?bmi/2008-06-01

This document is meant to be a working draft, and the internal timetable

is based on presentation to the AB in September and issuance from the
September meeting.

It is my perception that there is disagreement in the Task Force as to
whether such an RFP should be issued at all.  But even if there is near
consensus on having such an RFP, there are several issues about its
scope and requirements that we need to discuss and resolve.  Clauses
6.2, 6.5 and 6.6 take one position on each such issue, but in most
cases, that position is more or less arbitrary.  And there are probably
other concerns that I hadn't yet heard (or forgot).  The function of
this draft is to focus discussion on identifying intent and resolving
issues, so as to produce an RFP satisfactory to the TF.

I agreed that such a document should be put on the table for discussion.

  With one or two exceptions, neither NIST nor I feel strongly about any

provision in this draft, including whether any such RFP should be issued

at all.  The TF owns this -- do with it what you will.

-Ed

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694

Back to the top