[mdt-sbvr.dev] FW: The kernel of SBVR without programming considerations 2008-05-31-2112

Title: RE: Scenarios

From: Sjir Nijssen
Sent: Sat 5/31/2008 9:13 PM
To: Stan Hendryx; date-time@xxxxxxx
Subject: The kernel of SBVR without programming considerations 2008-05-31-2112

Stan and all others,

This is the kind of exchange that I welcome. It is the kind of discussion that I recommend to be held before any coding arguments come on the scene.

I am reconsidering the meaning of the concept and term fact model. I looked up in my library some of the papers that were used in the seventies in Europe in the semantic community that at that time was involved in developing the concepts and terminology for the conceptual schema and the information base (set of ground facts in SBVR); one of the results was the ISO TR9007 report, Concepts and Terminology for the Conceptual Schema and the Indformation Base. Several official publications were also dedicated to the results of these endeavours.

In the paper "A Framework for Advanced Mass Storage Applications" published in the proceedings of MedInfo 1980, Tokyo, I used the following axioms:

Axiom 1: Each permitted communication between a user and an information system can be considered to consist of a set of elementary sentence instances.

Today we would say that elementary sentence is a synonym for elementary fact in SBVR.

Axiom 2: Each permitted communication between a user and an information system can be completely described by one single grammar.
Synonym: A sentence base grammar is a set of rules which completely and exclusively prescribes all the permitted sentence base instances and all the permitted sentence base transitions.

Today we would say: domain specific conceptual schema in SBVR is synonym for the sentence base grammar; it is fair to say that SBVR has given a first class seat to concept defnitions.

Axiom 3: The deepest structure of each sentence can be considered to consist of a set of ideas about objects, and a set of bridges between objects and lexical objects.

Today look at Clause 8 of SBVR and the similarity is clear.

Axiom 4: All grammars of the coexistence architecture (the most relevant for our discussion here are the domain specific conceptual schema and generic conceptual schema) can be considered as information bases.

Today we may say that the domain specific conceptual schema as well as the generic conceptual schema may be considered as elementary sentences or elementary facts.

Hence all three levels of SBVR
  I. the ground facts
 II. the domain specific conceptual schema
III. the generic conceptual schema

can be considered as sets of elementary facts.

From that point of view we could try to give the concept fact model its proper place.

My position is that we first need clarity on the most useful kernel of SBVR concepts and full consistency before the compliance points are discussed. What is the sense of being compliant with something that is not fully consistent? I would recommend to get agreement on the most relevant subset of SBVR, a manageable core working set that makes the learning and practical application process far more productive, without sacrificing valuable descriptive power. Think of the Pareto principle.

Hence a generic conceptual schema needs to contain a minimum set of concepts, fact types, fact type forms and rules to be able to communicate meaningfully in facts.
However most people would consider discussion about the generic conceptual schema with being able to work with domain specific conceptual schemas as too limited or only of academic interest.
In my view most practioners would consider the triple
I     ground facts
II    domain specific conceptual schema
III   generic conceptual schema
the most useful combination in practice.

The generic conceptual schema would be developed once and hopefully published in a way that readers are turned on.

What practical business and organisations need most is the facility to bring all kind of regulations and requirements in a domain specific conceptual schema in SBVR.

The majority of these practical applications also want the ground facts.

I am of the opinion that the concept body of shared meanings is exacly the same as a conceptual schema the way it is defined in Clause 11. I am happy to be corrected.

Kind regards

Sjir [See further below in line]