Fw: [mdt-sbvr.dev] A proposal for modeling Concepts and related aspects

I forgot to list EPackages in the following list.   I think the closest
SBVR concept to EPackage is "body of shared concepts".   An EPackage does
not contain individual concepts or rules, so is neither a "conceptual
schema" nor a "body of shared meanings".
--------------------------------
Mark H. Linehan
STSM, Model Driven Business Transformation
IBM Research

phone: (914) 945-1038 or IBM tieline 862-1038
internet: mlinehan@xxxxxxxxxx
----- Forwarded by Mark H Linehan/Watson/IBM on 05/24/2008 09:22 PM -----

             Mark H
             Linehan/Watson/IB
             M                                                          To
                                       SBVR developer list
             05/23/2008 08:52          <mdt-sbvr.dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [mdt-sbvr.dev] A proposal for
                                       modeling Concepts and related
                                       aspects(Document link: Mark H.
                                       Linehan)

Dave,

We definitely need to do some experiments to understand the ramifications
of the approach that I proposed.  I have a summer intern working with me
for the next few months, and I will work with him to figure out the answers
to your questions and other questions.

I am proposing dynamically generating the following aspects of SBVR using
EClass:

      object types of type text or quantity as EAttributes of type ESTRING
or EINT

      characteristics -- as EAttribute of type EBOOLEAN

      other object types -- as EClass

      binary fact types -- as EReference or EList

I also want to look into implementing n-ary fact types and objectifications
as extensions of EReference / EList because that would fit better with the
above.  I propose that all other SBVR concepts would be implemented in the
"conventional" way.

The EMF book (2nd edition, section 14.3) says that "All EObjects, whether
generated, dynamic, or these generated/dynamic hybrids, support exactly the
same reflective APIs. So, they can be freely mixed and used with all
reflection-based generic EMF utilities and frameworks, including the
persistence framework, change recorders, the validation framework, and
EMF.Edit. The persistence framework also supports dynamic EMF directly by
automatically demand-loading serialized models to provide needed dynamic
implementations for arbitrary instances. "

The text above is not clear (to me, at least) about whether "all
reflection-based generic EMF utilities and frameworks" work at both the
modeling level and the instance level.  Since I am proposing to represent
an SBVR vocabulary with a combination of dynamically-generated and
statically-generated EMF components, and the vocabulary needs both
model-level and instance-level elements, I definitely need to clarify these
questions.   Part of that can be figuring out whether one can export a
regular .ecore model file for dynamically-generated EMF components.

Mark H. Linehan
STSM, Model Driven Business Transformation
IBM Research

phone: (914) 945-1038 or IBM tieline 862-1038
internet: mlinehan@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top