RE: [mdt-sbvr.dev] Draft of UML model for tooling metamodel

Yes, when I reread one of your other notes, I saw that you're not really
looking for detail comments.  Sorry to take your time on those, then.

Rereading some of Stan's email --  I agree with him that we should use
"fact model" as the top-level container.   This thinking is consistent with
SBVR's "fact orientation".  Then an SBVR file is a fact model that owns a
set of facts which fit the various SBVR conceptual models.   Such a file
may include one or more terminological dictionaries, bodies of shared
meanings, etc.  We can treat those as views over the facts -- groupings of
the facts that are useful for various purposes or user sets.

Regarding association names -- these are useful in the model for
identification purposes, even if they don't get carried over into the EMF
model.

Regarding association end names -- here's a strategy:

      case 1) When the SBVR figure shows an association end name use that.
      case 2) Otherwise, use the preferred name of the concept at that end
of the association.

How does case 2 generate an awkward API?
--------------------------------
Mark H. Linehan
STSM, Model Driven Business Transformation
IBM Research

phone: (914) 945-1038 or IBM tieline 862-1038
internet: mlinehan@xxxxxxxxxx

             "Dave Carlson"
             <dcarlson@xmlmode
             ling.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  "'SBVR developer list'"
             mdt-sbvr.dev-boun         <mdt-sbvr.dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             ces@xxxxxxxxxxx                                            cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/12/2008 01:06          RE: [mdt-sbvr.dev] Draft of UML
             PM                        model for tooling metamodel

             Please respond to
              SBVR developer
                   list
             <mdt-sbvr.dev@ecl
                 ipse.org>

Mark,
Thanks for your review and comments.  When I posted the note about these
models, I said that this was *primarily* for review of the strategy for
separating the model into separate .genmodel definitions and therefore into
separate plugins for SBVR compliance points.  The classes in these models
is
very preliminary and only intended as a quick first prototype to test the
model modularization.

I will review and reply to your other points in a separate message.  But
one
quick observation: EMF is aligned with EMOF, not with CMOF, so Association
names in the model are always ignored by EMF.  That's why I omitted them
from the model.  The only thing that matters to EMF is the property end
names of navigable associations.

As for the association end names, we need a consistent strategy for how to
name these property ends so that a useful model API is generated.  We can
require that all property end names are equal to the SBVR spec metamodel
(omitting the association name), but those name often create an awkward
API.
Again, I was only exploring these ideas in the prototype model to initiate
discussions like this one.

Dave