[mdt-papyrus.dev] Neon and Oxygen versioning

Hi, Team,

Now that we are following the usual Eclipse versioning guidelines for plug-ins and features as of Papyrus 2.0, have we decided how we shall address the incremental update of versions?  There are at least two possibilities:
  • update bundle version if necessary for each first change made in a bundle.  Ripple the change up the chain of containing features
  • wait until later to analyze all changes made since the previous release and update bundle and feature versions accordingly.  This would have to be done at a minimum before every milestone build
I would definitely advocate for the former, because it is easier to make these changes on the spot when their nature is clearly understood and fresh in the memory.  Especially as there are so many different kinds of version changes in play:
  • 1.2.1/2.0.1/etc. for bug fixes on the maintenance branch and on master if cherry-picked from maintenance (same fix on both streams)
  • 1.2.100/2.0.100/etc. for bug fixes implemented only on master (not cherry-picked from maintenance)
  • 1.3.0/2.1.0/etc. for new features
  • 2.0.0/3.0.0/etc. for breaking changes
We have already been making some changes on both streams, and I think it would be best to settle this question now before we get too far behind in tracking these changes.  For myself, I have so far made two fixes on the Neon maintenance branch for which I am working on Gerrits to update versions:

https://git.eclipse.org/r/75833

What do y’all think?

Thanks,

Christian