Re: [mdt-papyrus.dev] org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs 1.5, 1.7 ? management by maven

Hi, Benoit,

See some replies in-line, below.

Cheers,

Christian

On Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 05:28, MAGGI Benoit <benoit.maggi@xxxxxx>, wrote:

Hi Christian,

I probably misunderstand you because there is no way (in my understanding) that oomph will make any automatic git commit.

Right.  I’m not suggesting that it does (or should).  That would be scary.

Here is what I understood/believe :

-        If someone installed its eclipse with oomph

-        If they used the new plugin wizard

-        Then preference files will be automatically populated by Oomph

Yes.

-        If preference files are included in the git commit

-        Then preference will be pushed/shared in git repository

Yes.

ð  Feel free to refute any of these points

Nothing to refute.

ð  Is there an easy way to manipulate all prefs files ?

Yes.  Configure Oomph to push preferences from the org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.core project to all other org.eclipse.papyrus.* projects, then load all of the Papyrus projects into the workspace.  Done.

I believe the main concern of François is about keeping a version consistency between papyrus plugins.

This is a legitimate concern since this feature [1] (which remove most the inconsistency between Hudson build and developer build)

 We moved the version inconsistency between plugins to the Hudson build.

No, what we did is to correct the Hudson build to build each project in accordance with its stated BREE.  If the BREE is not properly declared, that is a different problem.

I already shared my concern on the mailing list [2] but still think that patching the inconsistency between Dev and Hudson was more important.

In short :

-        Do we want to inforce version consistency between papyrus plugins ?

Is it necessary?  If some plug-ins want to be deployable in a Java SE 6.0 environment and some require Java SE 7.0, that’s fine.

(admittedly in the case of a project like Papyrus that is primarily end-user tools, it’s a bit odd)

But the important thing IMO is to build the plug-ins to match their JRE requirement, and now we have that.

(Also with extra ?)

-        If so, how do we plan to do that ?

The way to do it would be to update the BREE of all plug-ins to what we think it should be, then run PDE’s classpath update action, and commit the changes.

Regards,

Benoit

[1]: https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/41536/

[2]: http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/mdt-papyrus.dev/msg02446.html