Re: [mdt-papyrus.dev] discusion relative to maven integration in papyrus

Hi, François, all,

I have completed a preliminary experiment with the M2Eclipse maven nature in a large Papyrus workspace and, I have to say, I am quite pleased with the results.  My concerns about performance and scalability turn out to be pretty much dispelled (at least as far as Papyrus is concerned).

Perhaps my previous experience with maven projects in Eclipse suffered from either the particular set-up of the projects I was working with, or M2Eclipse has just gotten that much better, or my memories are at least in part fictional, or some combination of all of these factors.  In short, although I don’t yet see much concrete advantage for developers in the general case to convert our source projects to the maven nature, neither do I have any objection now.  It is still something of a sweeping change that might rather wait until the summer, but of course we can discuss that.  Also, I don’t know how I could practically continue to “soak” this environment with real development work to give it a more thorough test, as I am between major feature development activities and work on a branch would imply continual merges of probably an annoying kind (considering how very many files would be different).

Anyhow, I have prepared what I think is a fairly upbeat report on the matter [1] and I have added a blurb with a link to the same report to the Wiki, in the Developer Guide [2].  I’d appreciate your comments.

Cheers,

Christian

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/cdamus/adopting-maven-nature-in-papyrus-source-projects
[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Papyrus_Developer_Guide#.5BFuture.5D_Maven_Integration