Re: [mdt-papyrus.dev] TR: [eclipse.org-project-leadership] Introduction to the Automated Error Reporting for Eclipse Mars M5 - Call to Action

Thanks Sebastian for taking this to the papyrus community. Thanks Ed for your personal summary. I’d like to add a few points which may make the first steps into reviewing automated error reports a bit easier.

At [1] you have the option to join an existing email alert by adding your email address. The existing one only covers “normal” errors, i.e., NullPointerExceptions, ClassCastExceptions, IllegalArgumentExceptions etc.

You may also create your own alert with different thresholds or for special types of problems (like StackOverflowErrors, UI Freezes, OutOfMemoryExceptions) FWIW, if you’d like to see what was reported in the past days, please take a look at [2].

The freeze reports duplicate detection significantly improved since M3. However and in my opinion freezes should not be you main concern.

In case you have any questions, please contact me by email directly or create a feature request in bugzilla.
See [3] for additional links and further documentation.

Thanks,
Marcel

[1] https://dev.eclipse.org/recommenders/committers/confess/#/projects/54bca0efbee886e008a60d28
[2] https://dev.eclipse.org/recommenders/committers/confess/#/problems/?projects=papyrus&kinds=NORMAL&kinds=FREEZE&categories=UNCONFIRMED&page=0&size=40&sort=modifiedOn,desc
[3] https://dev.eclipse.org/recommenders/community/confess/#/about

> Hi
>
> I monitored it a bit for OCL/QVTd when first introduced at M3. It is very helpful, but quite burdensome and I only had a couple of users.
>
> Just about anything non-trivial that happens on the UI thread is liable to be detected.
>
> The reports can only go away if everyone complies.
>
> The major issue that I encounter is editor opening. Simple editors can open on the UI thread, so model editors do too. But models, particularly UML ones, can take a long time to load, so the UI report trips. Even the GenModel editor can trip.
>
> Someone has to take action to provide a model opening delegation, that EMF, UML, Xtext, OCL, Papyrus can use.
>
> I suspect Papyrus will encounter quite a few too-slow UI activities. Expect to need one person full time for a month or two to deal with reports. Delaying dealing with the problems will make the repeated reports more irritating.
>
> Regards
>
> Ed Willink
>
>> On 05/02/2015 08:42, GERARD Sebastien 166342 wrote:
>> Hi team,
>>
>> Could be useful for us?
>>
>> Best... SÃbastien.

Back to the top