Re: [mdt-papyrus.dev] Evolution of the model validation solution in Papyrus

Hi Christian

Requirements

  • extensible validation for DSMLs, contributing domain-specific constraints via profiles and/or other mechanisms
  • users should be able to select which constraints to include/exclude in the validation operation
  • it should not be necessary for a profile to define a stereotype extending a metaclass just to define constraints for that metaclass (this leads to required extensions). A profile should be able to constrain a referenced metaclass without reference to any stereotype
Beyond being obviously a good idea, I'm not sure what extensible validation for DSMLs means. AFAICS DSML is just a politically more acceptable/exciting term than the discredited UML modeling. So if UML validation works, DSML validation works too.

It would be good to allow users to have a validation configuration so that large projects can easily switch between quick / thorough / aspectX / ... validation configurations. So a model of validation configurations behind a DSL.

I don't understand not defining a stereotype. This seems to require a UML change/extension. UML supports mandatory stereotype application so constraints defined in a stereotype can be applied automatically, if their profile is applied.

OCL 2.5 will probably introduce a small profile to support gaps in UML

a) Integer/Real precision/rounding/overflow

b) InstanceSpecification validation enable/disable

Perhaps something more helpful can be provided in respect of validation control.

    Regards

        Ed Willink