Re: [mdt-papyrus.dev] "Turn into XXX" - an ability to replace semantic element with similar element of different type?

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ....

  .... Such feature was in Papyrus !

 But I don't know why one day it has disapear (May be the dark side of Papyrus) :-).

   Cedric

Michael Golubev a écrit :
I suspect that this feature may be already discussed somewhere but haven't found the right place, sorry for that.

I see a lot of use cases where user may need to change the type of the existing semantic element, e.g from DataType to Class, or from OpaqueAction to <some-specific>Action, or from InputPin to OutputPin, etc.

You always can create the new element and delete the old one, but then you need to manually deal with the contents of the old element and with the references from and to the old element.

Here is the set of challenges for user with this approach:
- the contents is the simplest case, inner elements may be cut-pasted in model explorer
- (also some of the contained elements may be not applicable to the new container type)
- the outgoing references may be fixed (with pain) by comparing the property sheet for old and new element
- the incoming references are the hardest case for user and I don't see at all how user can be ensured that all of them are dealt with.
- worse, there may be diagrams that show the old element (so some incoming references may be non-semantic). These diagrams will not show the replaced element and user can't easily fix this problem at all.

Should not Papyrus provide the set of "Turn Into XXX" actions that will assist user in such conversions? And what is the right place to discuss this?

Regards,
Michael

--

Michael "Borlander" Golubev