[mdt-ocl.dev] Re: Need advice

Hi Sébastien

Glad to hear from you. I was afraid that we'd frightened you away.

All org.eclipse.emf.ocl plugins have been deprecated for some time. In MDT/OCL 3.0.0 we are eliminating them. Except that org.eclipse.emf.ocl.examples.interpreter is clearly useful and still works.

Your new plugin should probably be called org.eclipse.ocl.evaluator or perhaps org.eclipse.ocl.console.evaluator. Please 'duplicate' org.eclipse.emf.ocl.examples.interpreter as perhaps org.eclipse.ocl.console.ui. Your 'duplicate' will be included within an OCL console feature. If the 'duplicate' is trivially different (less than 200 useful lines), please supply it as a separate patch so that we can bypass IP procedures. Please feel free to review your 'duplicate' if you feel that the API is inappropriate for your foreseen usages. We can easily change the API now; after Helios it will be awkward.

My suggestions above are just suggestions, so if you have better ideas, please put them forward.

Christian's OCL completion is useful, but requires an independent intuitive grammar, which is plausible for just expressions. It does not expand well to OCL documents or QVT transformations. For these purposes the backtracking parser has been activated to make grammar-driven suggestions. I would prefer to enhance the grammar-driven approach so that we do not have two different bodies of completion code. The Issue 10439 / Bugzilla 292112 grammar may make this more tractable.

   Regards

      Ed Willink

Sébastien GABEL wrote:
Hello Ed,

To make short : I am currently working on the OCL Evaluator I would like to contribute to Eclipse in the next weeks (days ?) to come. I offer an OCL syntax completion in an input field (as it is done in the OCL interpreter). For that, I reuse the code developed by Christian Damus. It works fine ! Great ! But it rises a problem of dependency between plug-ins. Currently, my plug-in (named org.eclipse.emf.ocl.evaluator) have a dependency to 'org.eclipse.emf.ocl.examples.interpreter' and I am not really sure that it is the best way to proceed since this example plug-in needs to be generated by end-users. My question is the following : Should I let this dependency or should I duplicate code I need (or other solution ) ? Please, I need advice about this point.
Do you understand my issue ?
Thanks !
Regards,

Sébastien